Erik Qualman, the author of Socialnomics: How social media transforms the way we live and do business, compiled these astounding statistics. Watch the video for his complete list and tell us what you think the future holds.
1. Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-old
2. 96% of them have joined a social network
3. Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
4. Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
5. 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
6. iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months
7. If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest ahead of the United States and only behind China and India
8. The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females
9. Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé – some universities have stopped distributing e-mail accounts
10. The ROI of social media is that your business will still exist in 5 years